16 February 2007

Painter X



The other day I discovered PainterX is now available. I was excited because I really wanted to buy this program and get into it. The way it works is so natural and can give amazing results. Just look at CGSociety and the many other art community sites online. Digital art is huge.
I'm new to painter, and so far I'm not sold on it. I think I need to find some good tutorial sites to learn more about the program.
At this stage I have just been playing around with it. So I coloured one of my last posted pictures as a play.

4 comments:

chrispa said...

cool... definatly worth learning more about.
has a nice painted look. but could you not achieve the same results in photoshop?

-c

Collin said...

It's a lot harder to do realistic media in Photoshop, whereas it's built in to Painter. If you have the money, you might also check out Sketchbook Pro (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?id=6848332&siteID=123112)

and for an inexpensive program ($19.95) that has loads of potential, there is ArtRage 2 (http://www.artrage.com/artrage.html)

Best of luck! Oh, and if you don't have a stylus of some kind, it's probably a good idea to invest in one so you can get the full range of effects, no mater what program you use.

James said...

Thanks Collin, I'll look into it some more.

Colby said...

I love this James. Painter has so many brushes and mediums though, it's hard just to pick one. On my crappy, yet to be finished blog (http://colbyheppell.blogspot.com/) I drew a puppy using that program, it took a while because I could decide on the medium to do it in. I keep telling myself that refining my skills in just one medium will only improved it make it faster and easier. I love the blue line-artwork for it too. Oh and I just started life drawing again.